Costa Rica is a beautiful country with access to both the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Ocean. It’s also a gorgeous place to visit with countless activities to choose from.
So if you’ve been thinking about taking a vacation to Costa Rica, now is the time to start planning! Maybe you’ll even be able to cross some things off your bucket list while creating memories of a lifetime.
So here is our list of 7 things to do on your Costa Rica vacation besides eat.
1. A Costa Rica Vacation Starts at the Beach
After all, there are 2 oceans to enjoy. And with over 300 beaches, if you can’t find one you like, you may have to stay until you find one you do.
Here are our favorite beaches to hit:
- Manuel Antonio: Set above a national park, it boasts world-class views and beaches.
- Puerto Viejo: Known for its laidback attitude. And it’s amazing surfing.
- Montezuma: Usually draws youths, alternative lifestyle seekers, and surfers.
While some may say that surfing and going to the beach are the same things, not everyone wants to bathe where surfing is taking place. And not all beaches offer good swimming conditions.
But they are amazing for surfers.
So here’s where to go to find some of the best surfing Costa Rica offers:
- Playa Guiones: Boasts 300 days of surfing and the cleanest water you’ll find in Costa Rica
- Playa Avellanas: Also known as Little Hawaii. Only for experts, unless you like braving 18-foot waves.
- Playa Hermosa: Terrible for swimming, but a great place to surf and view a nearby turtle nesting sanctuary.
Costa Rica is world famous for its ziplining. And you should think about going because about 90% of the animals and 50% of the plant species live in the upper levels of the trees.
Here are a few of our favorites:
- Manuel Antonio Canopy Safari Zip Line Tour: One of the oldest tours in Costa Rica
- Arenal Hanging Bridges Hike and Hot Springs Tour
- Hacienda Pozo Azul Canopy Zipline and Horseback Ride
River rafting is an incredibly fun and thrilling adventure. Over hundreds of years, the torrential weather has created a landscape with twists, dips, and bumps.
All of which make for perfect rafting.
Here’s what you can expect:
- Carve your way through dense forests
- Meander along beautiful waterfalls
- Rafting options do exist for all ages and abilities
5. Deep Sea Diving
The oceans around Costa Rica are teeming with underwater wildlife.
Here’s what you might see down there:
- Eagle Rays, Manta Rays
- Sharks: White-tipped reef sharks, bull sharks
- Schools of grunts, jacks, parrotfish, moray eels
- Whales (January-March)
6. Visit the Rainforest
Costa Rica’s natural treasure truly is its myriad amounts of natural diversity. It’s one of the most bio-diverse regions in the world.
Did you know that:
- A quarter of its land is national parks, biological reserves, and wildlife refuges?
- Over 10,000 species of plants and trees call Costa Rica home?
7. A Costa Rica Vacation isn’t Complete Without a Visit to the Hotsprings
Every vacation should include some serious downtime.
These hot springs were formed by volcanic springs heated underground that returned to the surface.
These mineral-laden waters have been used for therapeutic reasons for over 200 years.
Traveling is so much more fun when you plan ahead. Come back and visit often as we add more holidays tips!